Saturday, August 15, 2009

Kamut Bread

When Shelly and Karen came to visit last month, my Aunt LoRane sent a bag of grain I had never heard of. I finally made some bread with Kamut today. I used her recipe which calls for grain mix, white wheat, brown rice and kamut all ground up into flour. I thought her recipe looked good when I read it but decided to double it. Oh boy, that was a mistake. I had so much dough, the Bosch could hardly knead it. The dough was a little slack (wet). Now that I seem to read bread recipe books a lot, I have learned new lingo. Anyway I was nervous to add more flour since my machine was at its max. I filled up my 6 bread pans, 3 little bread pans and made fried scones for Mark and Patrick. We liked the scones and I gave a loaf of bread to my neighbor to test. I like the flavor and it is a little lighter than my regular wheat bread recipe. I will try it again and not double the recipe. I will also take a picture of the next loaves. Thanks, Aunt LoRane!!! It is so much fun to get new recipes and talk with others about their successes with bread making.

I had an afternoon and night to myself yesterday since Mark and Patrick went on the Ward Fathers and Sons camping trip. I drove to Park City and looked in all the shops and then had sushi for dinner. Dining alone reminded me of my working days back in Salt Lake before Daniel was born. I would eat lunch out by myself and I loved it. I spent some time in Dolly's Book Store while eating a carmel apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate. I found the King Arthur Flour cookbook and I have been reading it all day. I am all excited to try some of their recipes. They had a very good website and blog with lots of really good recipes (kingarthurflour.com/blog). I drove to Deer Valley for the Utah Symphony concert and it was wonderful. Outdoors sitting on the bunny hill enjoying the music and the setting was just what I needed. It rained for a few minutes but a lady near me loaned me her umbrella. Sometimes I need some time alone to regenerate and this was perfect.

No comments: