Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Few Days in California

Last week I flew to California to visit my cousin Shelly who is in the hospital with Acute Leukemia. She was just finishing a week of chemo, 12 hours on and 12 hours off. It was very difficult to see her suffer. I spent two nights in the extra hospital bed in her room. It brought back memories of better times in college when we slept in our small dorm room. We talked about things I have never talked about with anyone else before. I wanted to be positive and uplifting but my own sorrow and questioning kept me very sober. She has a wonderful family who has rallied around her and it was uplifting to be around them. I love the Wallwork Family and they have been a part of my life since I was born. They all had an easier time being positive than I did. I love Shelly so much and want the best for her. I drove to Fairfield from Fresno for about three hours and that gave me time to really think. I thought about lots of things. I am still thinking. Maybe I will be able to share those thoughts another time.

I also attended a Fairfield High Band reunion for the years that Mr. Jones directed the band. He has had a rough few years and the reunion was for him, to show him appreciation for what he did back in the seventies and eighties for all of the members of band. He had called me several times wanting me to come and I told him I couldn't. When I knew I was going to see Shelly, I decided to surprise Mr. Jones. I told him on the phone that I had a surprise for him and he asked what it was. I told him it wouldn't be a surprise if I told him. He said he loved surprises. I walked into the restaurant and he stared at me and then started laughing. Well he was very surprised and happy that I came although I think he had a hard time accepting that I was 50 not 15. It was a wonderful night full of tributes and slide shows. He seemed very pleased with all the attention. I didn't know very many people there but still had fun talking and hearing band experiences.

I went to church the next morning to the Ward I grew up in. It was great to be there and my Bishop (Bob Troub) and his wife were the speakers. It was so much fun to hear them and talk with them after the meeting. I told Bishop Troub thanks for teaching me to water ski. I really had a great church experience there during my teenage years.

After church, I drove to Santa Clara to see Robert Ness and his family. I went to Jr. High and High School with him. It was so wonderful to be in his lovely home with his wife Janet and their three beautiful, talented daughters. They took care of me and treated me so well. Great food, great company and some walks down memory lane as Robert drove me around to see where I had lived and gone to school in Sunnyvale and San Jose.

I have been doing a lot of deep thinking since I got back from my trip. I don't have all the answers I am seeking yet but I know for sure that the relationships we develop in our lives, at any point in our lives are important maybe more important than anything else. It doesn't matter if we are related or we met in 7th grade and differences, time and distance do not matter either. We need each other at different times for different reasons. That is why we are here, to love and to be loved and for that I am deeply grateful even in times of sorrow for I cannot imagine it any other way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lorna, thank you so much for coming to CA. It was such a comfort to talk with you and have you visit Shelly. Love you, Amy