
Endurance Hike
The Biggest Loser Boot Camp is close to Red Mountain Resort and we saw their vans a lot.
Last week we planned to take a quick weekend trip to St. George, but at the last minute Mark couldn't go. I really wanted to go and so I did. I signed up for 3 days at the Red Mountain Resort and Spa. I figured they would take care of me and it sounded wonderful. I drove down Thursday morning and got there in time for lunch. All the food is healthy and good. The portions seemed a little small but hey that's the idea. There are classes and activities all day and it is a little like going to camp for adults. After lunch, I went to a class on finding your best life, then a makeover and on to a class on relaxing your hands and feet. Then I wandered around to check out the place. It is right at the base of Snow Canyon, a beautiful red rock steep canyon with lava flow and rivers. It is really amazing, kind of like being at a concentrated Lake Powell with no water. I brought my road bike and took a 5 mile ride up the canyon. It was incredible and even though it wasn't that warm, I really loved getting outside and moving.
I ate dinner at the "community table" and met some interesting people. I may have been the only one from Utah there and maybe even the only Mormon guest. Most people were from the East, Midwest and Canada. I felt very unique and that is unusual in Utah. I finished off the day with a meditation class that surprisingly I really enjoyed. Who knew I could actually quiet my mind?
After breakfast on Friday, I joined the morning 2 hour guided hike and loved it. I met some more interesting people and when the leaders asked if anyone wanted to hike back instead of taking the van, I raised my hand. Only 3 of us hiked back and it turned into a religious discussion and for the first time, I did pretty good with it. Usually I am not very good at that. One guy is Jewish and the other agnostic so it was interesting to say the least.
I went to a cooking class and after lunch to a nutrition class. I hung out in the spa reading my new cookbook for the afternoon. Dinner finished off a fun and relaxing day.
I really enjoyed the hike on Friday, but felt like I wanted more of a challenge, so I signed up for the endurance hike with my new Jewish friend Eric and the guide. It was fast and long and beautiful. The guide was not my favorite person but he could hike fast. I talked to Eric who is an accountant and got lots of free financial advise. On one part of the trail, we met a group of mountain bikers from SLC and when I told them I was from Draper, they told me they loved the great trails there, especially the Willow Springs trail. I told them I didn't know that one and they said you start at the library. Oh, I felt stupid when I realized that is the new trail in my backyard. I didn't know it had a name!
I got back just in time for the "cooking for optimum metabolism" class and then had lunch. I had signed up to go horseback riding in the afternoon but my new friends convinced me to switch to the bike ride. So off on a 22 mile ride and by the end I was pretty tired but I kept up. It was really fun. After that I took a stretching class even though I hate stretching and it felt good. After dinner, we learned how to play Texas Hold'em and I won a candle but I wasn't very good at it.
Sunday morning after a good-bye breakfast, I drove myself back home from my relaxing great adventure. I would do it again anytime, so if you get the urge, call me!
No comments:
Post a Comment