Friday, August 3, 2012

Thirty-Two Years Later...

A few nights ago Mark and I took off for our weekly Cafe Rio fix.  As we were waiting in line we started talking to the other people in line.  I kept looking at this one woman thinking, "Is she my roommate from Natalie's art history San Francisco trip, she looks so familiar?"  No, that was not her.  Then she looked right at me and said,  "I used to know someone who looked a lot like you and her name was Lorna."  I said,  "I am Lorna."  She said, "I'm Nancy Noble."  We hugged.  She was my roommate at BYU 32 years ago and we haven't seen each other since 1981.  We caught up as we waited in line for our food.  She lives in Lake Arrowhead, Ca and happened to be on vacation in Utah and stopped in Draper to eat. She thought we lived in Oregon.  Crazy!  


When Mark and I got engaged, there was some trouble between Nancy and I.  Hurtful things were said and there were many tears between us.  Our wonderful two-year friendship was ruined.  She moved out at the end of the semester and I got new roommates for two months until Mark and I got married.   


Nancy and friends at her birthday party, 1980.  I know that the guy in plaid is Jory, I don't remember the other two.
After we ate dinner, we found Nancy and her friend on the other side of the restaurant and talked some more.  It felt really good to see her again.  As Mark and I got in our car, we were talking about it and he said, "Did you hear how many times she apologized to you?"  I didn't hear a single one.  He pointed out several comments she had made that I totally missed.  He was so right.  She had in her way let us know that we had all grown up and learned a lot and we were better people than we were way back then.  I felt even better.  Yes, I think we are much better people and we have learned so much about others and ourselves in the last 32 years.  What a revelation.  I think we would be wonderful friends again, especially if we lived closer.  

No comments: