Saturday, December 19, 2009

Lemonade Anyone?

When I was in high school, I had a poster on my wall of a man with a funnel full of lemons stuck in his head and yellow liquid pouring out of his nose (it wasn't as gross as it sounds). The caption read, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." It got me through all kinds of disappointments and changes through the years. I thought about that poster last night as I climbed into bed. It was a rough day yesterday. I got up still feeling nauseas from my recent bout with food poisoning. Mark and Natalie left to train at Snowbird and I started to clean the house in anticipation of Daniel, Shalane and Alta coming today. I went to Coscto and fought the crowd and got lots of food. I was so tired and worn out, I couldn't unpack it all from the car when I got home. Shalane called and told me that their flight from Washington DC today had been cancelled because of anticipated snow. They got a new flight for Sunday afternoon. Mark came and helped me put the food away and I picked up Pat to take him to his afternoon training in preparation for his race today. Right when I got back home from Snowbird dropping Patrick off, I got a phone call from Patrick's coach who said he had a bad fall. I drove right back up and picked up a very pale wrapped up Patrick. He had gotten popped up out of a gate and went four feet into the air and came down with all his weight on his right shoulder and arm. He was in pain as we loaded him and his stuff into the car and drove right to the doctor. After X-rays, it was determined that his humerus (no more jokes from him for awhile) bone was broken, right at the top where it connects to the shoulder. Tears were running down his face as he came back from the x-ray room. He wanted it to be a bad bruise. He will see an orthopedic on Monday morning. He doesn't have a cast, just a sling. The doctor doesn't think he needs surgery either. I looked at my email as I was getting Patrick settled back at home and read that the Sunday flight had been cancelled too. Now I had tears running down my face. The lemons were pouring in. I cancelled our annual family dinner at the Roof for Monday night. I haven't found the lemonade in this yet but I am thankful that no one in my family is missing/murdered (Susan Powell), no one is in a hospital fighting for his life (our friend's brother, Mark Thorn who crashed landed his plane by the freeway in Lehi last week), or worst of all dead (guy in the Nutty Putty Caves and Jared's young father neighbor in a motor cross accident). So I am just going to be thankful at this time and pray for a speedy recovery and that Delta will open up some more flights before Christmas.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Sorry you're having such a lemony week. So are we! I'm literally praying every morning that Heavenly Father will help me see past the lemons so my attitude doesn't ruin Christmas for the kids. Maybe we just need to look for sugar to go with the lemons instead of worrying about them so much!

Anonymous said...

Lorna,
Wow! What a tough day. Believe it or not though, you are feeling the true spirit of Christmas. You have the only gift that you can give Heavenly Farther this time of year. You are offering the gift of a Broken Heart and a Contrite Spirit. It is the hardest gift to give but one that is valuable beyond understanding.
I love the book “The Lord’s Question” by Dennis Rasmussen. At this time of year I like to read the chapter “Knowest Thou the Condescension of God?” It puts in perspective the answer Nephi give when he said, “I know that he loveth his children.” “To hallow my life he taught me to endure sorrow rather than cause it, to restrain anger rather than heed it, to bear injustice rather than inflict it.”
Your gratefulness is well placed. Your heart will be mended and this too will work together for your good. Enjoy the lemonade. It will come again before you know it.

Tom and Annie said...

Talk about looking for the silver lining! You're amazing, Lorna and I know you will find the lemonade. We need our trials to make us stronger and to look back and say, "I made it through!"