Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We All Love Aunt Ethel

Lorna (1) Janet (5) Kent (2) Craig (4) Jared (6) Rod (3)
(birth order)

On Saturday, my siblings and I all drove together to Burley, Idaho for our Aunt Ethel's funeral. I don't think we have all been in a car on a long trip together since we lived in San Jose or Sunnyvale in 1977 or 1978. We didn't even ride together when we moved to Oregon after my senior year because Kent rode in the moving van with Earl, the maintenance guy. I drove, which made me somewhat nervous. I thought, if I crash, there goes the whole family. Mom and Dad drove in a separate car the night before. We also had Janet's husband Stephen with us (taking the picture). We had a great time talking about everything. We talked about Aunt Ethel and the farm and even drove by and marveled at how small the house looked and how much we missed the big trees and the big yellow barn. We told lots of memories of that magical place in our childhoods. The funeral was a fitting tribute to a truly remarkable lady. I hope I can be like her when I grow up. She left 26 grandchildren and 70 great-grandchildren with a legacy of talent, happiness and love.

The best part of the whole trip was when we stopped at Wendy's for lunch and I got out and watched everyone get out and unfold themselves slowly and achingly from the Tahoe. We are all getting old! I guess I am not alone in my aging. I love my family and I am so glad we all bunched in the car for 7 hours of camaraderie.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

it took me a minute to realize those were placements, not ages in the parenthesis! Jared did tell me about all the long legs i nyour car and how funny they looked when they all tried to get out!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorna, Loved your comments. However, your figures are a little off. Ethel has 5 children, 26 grandchildren and 70 great-grandchildren for a total of 101. Love, Mom