Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ZumWhat?

So I go to my Wednesday Pilates class and it has been canceled and I look on the schedule and decide to try a class everyone is talking about, Zumba! I go in and despite my almost non-existant dancing skills I stay because I like the loud-up-beat-latin music. The warm up is difficult but I get most of it and start to feel like maybe I could last an hour. Then the real dancing starts: Salsa, ChaCha, Reggae, Hip Hop ---out of my comfort zone to say the least. I do try and again I really like the music and try to channel my freshman year at BYU when I took two social dance classes and dated some dancers. But, I do not remember any of it. The class instructor keeps talking about muscle memory and I decide mine have dementia and then I remember that I never could make those moves look good anyway. It is fun in a humbling kind of way. I am hot and sweaty at the end and I do stick it out which is quite admirable when you dance like me and there are mirrors! A friend asks me if I would go back as we walk out. I am just about to say maybe when she mentions that the real Zumba is a lot of fun and more of a workout if the teacher is good. Whoops, that beginner class is real enough for me.

2 comments:

AshleeBashlee said...

Gwen and I like Zumba 101 better then regular Zumba! And EVERYONE feels stupid while doing it :)

marie said...

Lorna thanks for stopping by my blog. Of course I remember meeting you at Shelly's funeral. As for Zumba I have never tried it but have heard great things about it. I would definitely have to start with the beginner class as well.