Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day at Lake Powell

The group towing the bum boat behind us.

Kids having lots of fun.

A real fire!

We had a great time at Lake Powell this weekend. It was Jeremy's first time and we wanted to show him a good time. We had to borrow a friend's boat but unfortunately it didn't work and the boys spent a lot of time trying to fix the fuel system. Mark and Kevin figured out how to make the wake just right on the big boat so lots of surfing was enjoyed right off the back, which always makes me nervous but all who tried really had fun. Patrick was getting so comfortable surfing that he did a little hula dance while doing it! We went to Good Hope Bay and it was really pretty. We took a little trip up to Hite and the beginning of Lake Powell where the Colorado River comes in. We saw a river raft trip coming in from 5 days on the river. Natalie noticed that Neilson Fortier ( a good friend of Kevin's and Patrick's ski coach) was on the raft. We all yelled to him. It was pretty random to see him. The kids built several fires up the little canyons with dead tumble weeds. Mark wanted the beach all cleaned up. A boat full of people and two guys in red shirts came right over and told us "You can't do that". Mark and I were on the big boat and they told us fires were illegal and we said OK and they kept telling us we couldn't do that. The two guys hiked up to where the kids were watching a fire and poured a little bucket of water on a little part of the fire. They wanted the kids to get buckets and put it out. Parker was laughing so hard and Jeremy said "We have this under control". The kids had set up a big bonfire with lots of logs and weeds on the beach and were waiting to light that one when it was really dark. The two red-shirted guys walked by and seeing this told Mark and I we needed a permit to burn that. They kept talking about how the rangers were out etc. We just couldn't believe these people, I mean do they own Lake Powell? We had a lot of fun talking about them the rest of the trip. I asked the ranger about fires and he laughed when I told him about the people. He said some people just can't stop telling others what to do.

4 comments:

ugkuyg said...

Once again, you're making us homesick! I miss Lake Powell trips. I just have to remind myself that they would be much different and not nearly as relaxing with a toddler :)

Stacy said...

That sounds like so much fun! Lake Powell is the BEST:)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know I just discovered you blog, so I am making lots of comments.
I wish we would have known you were at Powell as we were there also and in the same locale. We would have joined in the fire building! Sounds like a fun trip!

Lorna said...

Tami--Do you know that Kent was the first one to teach me how to have fires at Lake Powell. I will never forget him jumping around trying to put it out wearing your flowered floppy hat. One of my first Lake Powell memeories.