Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ski Day #2

We got up and off to the slopes again today. My legs felt OK so I thought I would manage, but I was wrong. I went down two pretty long slopes and was already tired. Then we went up a long T-bar and it hurt so much that I was done for the day but we were already way up high in the Alps and we were going up further! We just kept going on long lifts and I started to worry about getting down at some point. I rode up a little cable car to the very top and had some hot chocolate at the lodge on top. Mark and Barbara kept skiing and skiing. Then we started the long decent and I made it down with quite a few stops. Little 5-year-old Simon was so much faster and loved to go off-piste to find every little jump he could. It reminded me of Steve and Mitchell when they were little boys skiing together. Every bit of the pain was worth it though, because I got to see the most amazing vistas and steep craggy Alps that I would have missed if I had stayed in the car.









Later in the afternoon, Mark wanted to try out another mountain and this time I sat at a little outdoor cafe at the base and read a book while eating cheese and salami and drinking more hot chocolate. The views were to die for and Mark raced down the super steep runs and I could pick him out every time.










While he was skiing he saw his timing system being used by two different ski teams. He skied up to a coach and told him who he was and the coach said "I am Mike VonGrunigen". Out of 57 lifts in on several mountain and Mark finds him!


We then drove up to see the resort on the glacier and the had cheese fondue at a little barn on one of the mountains. Another night going to bed too full!
















1 comment:

Mal. said...

Gorgeous! I love the second to bottom picture!