Friday, October 4, 2013

Avignon

We had a nice breakfast, and began our last day of riding.  I have to say that this trip has been different for me as I have finally achieved living in the present rather than in the future.  Usually I think about the whole trip all at once and plan out each day in advance and I try to fit in as much as possible because I don't want to miss anything.  I don't know if it is empty nest or what, but after all these years, I am relaxing and enjoying each moment without planning the next one.  Maybe I am just getting old, but I really like myself much better this way.

Pascal led out through the villages today, so none of us had to read directions.  He is from Avignon and we met his wife Nina there for a guided tour of the medieval catholic city of where 9 Popes lived during the 14th century.  It is a beautiful village with a long history.  We had lunch at a small cafe with the best server in Provence.  He was so excited to take our order and talk to us.  I am not a big fan of hamburgers, especially when in a foreign country, but I have to say Steve and Mark were right in choosing the spot.  The burgers were gourmet and we all enjoyed them.  




 This is not a bike path.  It is a road.  Many of the "roads" were not even wide enough for 1 car.  It always surprised me when a car came from either direction.  Imagine a car or truck driving down Porter Rockwell trail.






 Look at the last set of names.




 We didn't eat here, but I wanted the plate of the day!




 This guy parked on the very small median.  He had to climb out the passenger side.  There is a lane on the other side of the car.




 The obligatory crash that garnered no response from Pascal.




Walking around Steve and I saw a painting we both really liked.  I wanted it but waited to see if Steve and Stacy were going to buy it.  They picked out another one and Mark bought the one I loved.  It is an impressionistic painting of couple in a passionate kiss.   Mark likes realistic art, so it surprised me that he liked it too.  

No comments: