We were up early and packed up ready for a full day of rafting. We have 66 miles left to go so we are going to have to book it to make it. We've gone 70 miles the whole trip to this point (mile 90 to mile 126 total).
I'm feeling a little lethargic this morning, maybe some rapids to get me awake and excited. Lava Falls is the big one today!
We load the white pads, the blue bags, the kitchen, the groover, and then our own white bags with us. It is quite the production every morning and evening.
We mosied on down the river which very few rapids in the boat with Matt and the Johnsons. I slept a little hoping to feel better. We stopped for a snack and stretched our sea legs and then on to Lava Falls.
The rocks had lava poured over them 1/2 a billion years ago they say. Like the rapids before, we pulled over to check out the Lava Falls Rapids. It looked pretty exciting. We loaded back on the rafts and Mark and Lynn sat in the front with Carol Sue and I in the back with a death grip on the straps. It was exciting and exile rating. Mark took some waves over the top, but I just got splashed. The boat filled with water but soon self-bailed and all was wonderful. I wasn't nervous at all, hardly even prayed. What a small miracle. In fact, I started thinking of all the small miracles on the trip--the hike, my feet, the fears, etc.
We rowed on down the river for many miles (24 total today) and pulled into our camp spot for the night. It was hot and I was not feeling well. I went up to the shade and sat for a spell and Mark unloaded and took care of our camp set up for me. It took a few hours but I finally felt good by dinner. I wonder if something bit me last night. I also broke out in a rash on my arms and legs. It could also be a combination of too much sugar (cookies for lunch), too much sun, and too long on the raft. I also get bugged by too much on my head and around my neck. The sunglasses with holders, the hat with neck strap, the cooling rag around my neck and the cooling sarong over my shoulders were just too much of lots of things.
It was a buggy, windy night. Mark lost his shirt, sunglasses and hat sometime in the night. Someone found his hat in the river, so at least he has that. Right before going to bed I found a spider the size of a quarter by my pillow, I killed it with my shoe and surprisingly went right to sleep.
Too many nights on the hard sand or rocks, we are all getting excited for a real shower and clean clothes. We talk about it like it will be the most wonderful thing in the world. They feed us well, so no one is talking about food, just beds and warm clean showers.
No comments:
Post a Comment