Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Day 5- Boating on the Galilee, Mount of Beatitudes, Chorazin, Magdala, Capernaum and Kursi

Morning boat ride across the Sea of Galilee.


The Mount of Beatitudes.  



Chorazin-Place of miracles.  
Our guide Mike talking about how Jesus would have taught in this synagogue, not like this.

Mike having me demonstrate how Jesus taught, sitting on the ground with the people, not elevating himself.


Terese at the Olive Press.


Mark and Pete

There is a ROUS (a rodent of unusual size) called a "rock rat" or "rock rabbit"




Mikvah in Magdala
Magdala.  These amazing ruins were discovered in 2009 when the Caltholic Church wanted to build a church and a hotel on this site.  They found these First Century ruins during excavation.  A weathly Mexican flew to see the sight and wrote a check on the spot to finance the archeologicical dig.  It is very unusual because of the excellent shape and it is only 6 feet under and the only layer.  It is my favorite ruin.  Jesus for sure was in this place and it is Mary Magdalene's hometown.  We had a cute guide who was enthusiastic about the site.  The new Church is beautiful.  I loved the ship with the mast as the cross.  It has a reflecting pool that makes it look like it is floating.  There is also a beautiful painting of the woman with the issue of blood touching Jesus' hem.




Capernaum-Jesus own city where the most miracles were performed.  

Capernaum synagogue 

Church built over the house of Peter.


Peter



Kursk, the traditional site where Jesus Cast out legions of evil spirits and allowed them to enter the bodies of nearby swine.



These are ubiquitous signs reminding me that this peaceful place is not always peaceful.


We pretty much eat the same three meals every day.  Breakfast is eggs, yogurt, salad etc.  Lunch is always a pita with falafel, chicken paddy or giro meat with salad and dinner is a variety of meats, rice and vegatables.  I really like the hummus, it is more bland here.  We are staying in bungalows right on the Sea of Galilee.  Every night when we get done touring, we all swim in the sea.  Last night it had waves, tonight it was glassy calm.  I love it.  It was in the 90's today, so the swim was even better.  It was another busy day full of amazing sites and feelings.  I hope I can keep this pace up, as my brain is already reaching overload and we have only just begun.  I started taking notes and that has really helped since I don't have to remember everything.  And I just have to say that the Roberts, who are the best neighbors ever would have really enjoyed to day.  


No comments: