Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bread Catch-up

So I made Bread #4 "Egg Harbor Bread".  You have to raise and punch down 4 times and I thought it was too labor intensive but....the boys liked it so much.  I think they ate two loaves all at once with some help from Benni (had to pry his jaw open to get the 1/2 loaf out).  Benni loves my homemade bread project.  He stands by the oven as soon as the smell starts and he weaves in and out of my legs as I get the bread out of the pans.  He thinks I am making it for him.  I have to guard it while it is cooling and then put it away before he jumps up and gets it.  Every now and then Mark will give him a crust and it is like blood to a shark.  

I went back and made the Cuban Bread again since it was so easy and tasted so good.  I used Pillsbury Bread Flour and I have to say that I think the King Arthur Bread Flour is better.  I think it is worth the extra cost.  I would only know this by making the same loaf twice with different flours.  It still tastes wonderful with either.

OK and now for the last one this week (sorry Kelly), I made the Scottish Buttermilk Bread (#5). I pretty much will like anything with Buttermilk in the title, so I was excited to try this.  It is not a yeast bread and you don't have to knead it and it doesn't rise, so it is very fast and tastes great.  It is a little like a biscuit bread.  Start to finish in 45 minutes, highly recommended.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your "loaf a week" plan sounds so fun! The Cuban bread looks especially delicious. I may have to skip on over to Amazon.com and get one of those cookbooks for myself.