At my 20 year high school reunion, my friends Annelisa Parkinson and Victoria Harvath Hales and I stayed together one night at Dan Parkinson's house. We stayed up all night talking and doing pedicures. We had so much fun that we planned a yearly get together every May around Mother's Day. We started out in May 1999 in St. George, Utah. Vic lives in Lubbock, Tx and Annie lives in Seattle, Wa. We did not go in 2000 because Vic had a baby (Jonathan). In 2001 we went to Vancover, Canada, 2002 was Las Vegas, 2003 was Palm Springs, 2004 was Scottsdale. We loved Scottsdale so much because it is so warm that we have been there every year except 2006 when I could not go. So we are on our 9th year. The three of us met in fourth grade, so we know each other very well.
We all fly in and meet at the airport. We yell and scream and laugh like freshmen coeds when we see each other and the fun begins. We stay in nice enough hotels and we eat very well and don't sleep much except for the year I wanted my own room so I could sleep but that was only once. We usually shop one day and go to the spa for a day. We eat very well and have our favorite restaurants that we go to every time. We share books, recipes and music, discuss marriage, kids and we solve the world's problems while we are at it. We read semi-raunchy magazines as we lay out by the pool (People). I contribute Cooking Light and Architectural Digest. We do it on Mother's Day because my husband and family don't do anything much for me and I get upset every year. Vic has a similar situation and Annie is single. I know people think we are weird but we don't care and we look forward to it all year. We always laugh and cry and laugh until we cry.
I can't wait to see them tomorrow morning!
1 comment:
I LOVE IT! I think it's a great tradition. Mother's Day is all about the mother. It's whatever you want on YOUR DAY!!! You are SUCH a good mom. I look up to you in at least one hundred ways. Have fun:)
Post a Comment