Friday, October 1, 2010

A Little Night Excitement

The dog goes crazy at 2:00 am this morning. After listening to him for a while, I get up and look outside. There are so many bright lights shining in our front side yard and several policemen are bent over a motorcycle on our side lawn. I think someone is dying right there on Bode Hill (our meeting place if our house is burning down). I look out the back window and a truck with a search light is scanning our backyard. Now I wonder what in the world is going on. I watch for a while from the front window and then the officer puts the bike upright and I can't see a body, very strange, very strange. I put on my bathrobe and add my porch lights to the bright lights shinning on the yard and go out to see what is going on.

One nice officer sees me and walks up to the porch showing his badge which is a nice gesture. He tells me that our next door neighbor Wayne heard something and came out to see a man covered in blood on our lawn next to a wrecked motorcycle. Wayne asked the guy his name and ran in to call 911 and when he came back out the guy was gone. Wayne told the police that the guy was pretty drunk.

The police are looking for him with no success. I am thinking, "I don't want to wake up and find a guy who has bled to death in some corner of the yard." Several policemen are walking around the yard with little bright flashlights looking for blood drops but not finding any. I watch for a while until the tow truck shows up and then go back to bed.

This morning I look at the deep gouges in the lawn and for any blood drops, but the sprinklers came on early this morning and washed away any trace of blood that I could see. I know the city manager and I think I will call him and see if they found the guy. The nice policeman said the guy is from Murray and was driving his own motorcycle. Then he added shaking his head as he walked away, "A guy drinks and then ruins his own personal property". I think that is better than drinking and ruining my personal property, but I guess the grass will grow back.

Oh, and Mark and Patrick slept through the whole thing.

1 comment:

Mal. said...

no way!! what a night. And I love that mark and patrick slept through it all. yikes. some people... who drinks, then hops on a motorcycle, and then who crashes and then just runs off?