I make this every year in September. I need about 75 pints to get us through until the next year. Mark likes it very mild and I like it spicier. Some years I make two different strengths. It is a pretty forgiving recipe, just put what you have and like. It is sweet, so you can decrease the sugar but don't change the vinegar, lemon juice or salt.
Brower's Salsa
20 pounds tomatoes
20 anaheim peppers (no seeds)
7 jalapenos (1 or 2 with seeds, the rest-no seeds)
4 red peppers
4 green peppers
4 medium yellow onions
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar (for your gluten free friends)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup salt
Peel (boiling water for 1 minute, put in cool water and slip
off
skins) and chop tomatoes. Let drain in colander into bowl. It is too soupy if you don't drain some of the juice off. Use juice for minestrone soup later, I freeze it in ziplock
bags. Chop peppers and onions in food processor. Put it all
in a large stock pot. Stainless Steel is best as aluminum
will react with the tomatoes. Add seasonings. Cook
until boiling, but you can cook it as long as you want. Put into pint
jars and process 30 minutes. Check to make sure all lids are
sealed. This will make about 24 pints. I am sure you could
make a half recipe. This is a pretty mild salsa. If you want
hotter, add more jalapenos. I wear rubber gloves, this will save your
hands. Don't touch anything after cleaning and seeding the
jalapenos as it will burn, especially face and eyes.
Call me if you have any questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment