Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 4-Leaving Bratislava, Slovakia and on to Hungary

I had a bad sleeping night and got up late this morning, so I was a bit stressed getting packed, eating breakfast and getting everything ready with the bikes. We all left the Arcadia on our bikes. The van took our luggage to the next hotel for us. We rode over the Danube and onto a very nice paved bike trail that ran along the West side of the river. There were lots of pretty fields and a few forests, very rural with a few small villages. We had lunch next to a white water rafting training center. It was fun to see the athletes training since we had seen that sport in the Summer Olympics.

Action Park.

We were all shocked that Ann beat Mark right before lunch.

Just an appetizer, not enough for biking.  



I got behind and for a while I was riding along the beautiful countryside as happy as can be. I thought some of the others were behind me but I kept waiting and didn't see them. I had the feeling of being free and alone and then I started to get nervous being on a bike where I could not communicate or call anyone. Mark finally rode up right on the border of Slovakia and Hungary, and I was complete and happy again.

We saw a golf course along the way, just nine holes, but the hotel connected with it was beautiful.



There were some language barriers at lunch and my main dish never came so I started to get hungry in Hungary! We had about 14 miles to go to the castle and I lost some steam but we rode up just as everyone else was putting their bikes away.

The Hedervary Kastely was built in the early 1500's and is the oldest castle in Hungary. It is about 479 years old. It is all decorated in it's original state and is more like a museum than a hotel.

 Our room.



Mark took a quick nap before dinner.  He looks so cozy.




 Getting to know our group.

 We arrived for dinner and I felt as if we had walked in Downton Abbey. The long, wide banquet table was set and candle light illuminated the old hunting room. The servants, I mean waiters were bustling about preparing for our group dinner.


 The food was good. We had a cold tomato soup to start and the chicken in mushroom sauce with a nice green salad. It was good but I have to say that the favors here are not strong and rather mild.  Homemade raspberry ice cream finished it off. What a treat it is to stay here living like Hungarian royalty.

No comments: