Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 9-Skanzen and Szentendre

We started off from the Holiday Beach Hotel with a bus ride. We got off of the bus at the top of a national forest road.  It was a wonderful downhill shrouded in trees and foliage.  I loved every minute.  It was my favorite ride of the trip.  In fact today was my favorite day of the trip.


 Steve and Stacy Shaha

We rode to the Skanzen open air museum where recreated villages reveal the typical architecture and lifestyle of each of the seven regions of Hungary.  Our guide, Matt knew his Hungarian history.  He took us around to two areas of the museum.  I wish he could have shown us the whole place but he said it would take a full day or more.  Here is a typical house from the Great Hungarian Plain.

 LynnAnn and Mark Imlay

The first room in the house was called the "clean room" and was not used at all except for guests.
The next room was where the whole family slept and lived all together.
Then the kitchen and at the very back of the house, the animals lived and ate.
This is the front of the house with Carl and Ann Jepsen.
This is the work room.
This is another area of the museum and this is a Protestant Church and Belfry.
It was small and cute and very old.  I saw a little pump organ and asked the guide if I could play it.  To my surprise, he said yes.  There was some music on it so I sight read it.  I loved it.  The organ is only 90 years old but hey, that's old enough for me.  It wasn't quite Notre Dame (Shelly), but good enough for me.




Mark really liked the barn with hay on top.  In fact he liked studying all of the buildings and could have stayed a long time here. 
The coach was invented in Hungary.

Another part of the museum with Carl and Ann at the mill.
 We left Skanzen and rode our bikes into Szentendre which mean St. Andrew.  It is a pretty little village with cobblestone streets and lots of shops.  We ate lunch and walked around.  Mark and I are not shoppers and again we didn't purchase much, just a two small watercolors from a street vendor.  



Matt showed us the best place to purchase paprika and pate, two typical Hungarian products. 




Small passageway up to a yellow church.  Langos are a Utah scone or Indian fry bread with various toppings.  Mark got excited and ordered one with honey and butter.  They said no, we don't have those.  They are all savory, not sweet. 

Carl with Robert and Carl's brother Lee.


We left Szentendre with a small cup of rich hot chocolate and Steve, Stacy, Mark and I started off towards our hotel.  As we came to a bridge with a sharp right hand turn, I was following Stacy, she yelled "car" and I looked around and didn't see one and we were on a bike path anyway.  Well just as I turned a Hungarian cyclist came down the hill going very fast.  He put on the brakes and skidded to a stop less than an inch from my front tire.  I saw him at the last minute and tried to stop too.  He was not happy and the two after him yelled something at me in Hungarian which I am sure were not kind words.  I felt bad, but I was also grateful that we were both safe and that I didn't kill any nice Hungarians.

We followed Mark on a slight detour to see this lake for wakeboarders.  It was really fun to watch the people grab onto the rope and be pulled around the lake on a cable to do tricks and jumps.  I thought Kevin would like it.  He could add it to Snogression behind his building on the Jordan River. 



A few homes we stopped and took pictures of on the bike path.

 Our Farewell Dinner
 These gypsy musicians serenaded us through dinner.

 Steve and Stacy

Lee and Sally

 Carl and Ann

Bonnie and Robert

Joy and Reed

 LynnAnn and Mark

Mike and Vickie
And I left out one couple, Kathleen and Rodger.

Our wonderful guides, Matt and Suzie
We ate, had awards, and watched traditional dances and listened to music.  It was a fun way to finish off the trip even though we still have one more morning of biking.


No comments: