When I was sixteen, we moved 80 miles from our home to an apartment. We were crowded and everyone was very busy. I was homesick for my friends and our old home. We moved the end of November and I was Santa for all the kids that year because my Mom had to work hard managing the apartments. I had fun buying all of the presents and planning for each one in the family.
My brother Kent, was a year younger and we didn't always get along. We were great at arguing and driving each other crazy. He and I were stuck in a new school together and neither of us knew anyone. I remember being glad he was there with me even though I didn't really like him most of the time.
Before Christmas, Kent was helping clean apartments and he found a beautiful pearl ring. It had a gold setting swirling around a creamy white pearl and a matching black pearl. I loved that ring the minute I saw it. Everyone gave Kent advice on what to do with the ring in the little brown silk box. My aunt Ruth said she would pay him $75 for it. That was a lot of money for Kent or any of us. My Mom thought he should give it to her. Others thought he should save it for his future wife. Fifteen year old boys don't think about being married, so I'm sure that was the least of his choices. Kent was about the stingiest person I knew when it came to money. He could always remember some distant debt that I owed him even though I was sure I had paid him back. I knew he would sell the ring. He even called the jeweler whose name was on the box and asked him about it. The jeweler offered him even more than Aunt Ruth.
I wanted to buy it from him. I had been saving my money since fourth grade to go on a trip to Germany and I was leaving that Spring. I was saving all I had to fulfill my traveling dream. I couldn't afford the ring.
I will never forget that Christmas. I was excited to see everyone open their presents. I know that even my parents were surprised with some of the gifts since they hadn't planned what to get everyone. When Kent brought me his present I could not believe it. The little brown silk box was in my lap. The beautiful ring I had admired so much was mine. I know that I did not let him know at that time how much that coveted gift meant to me.
I have worn that ring to every important event in my life. It stands for love and sacrifice and I try to tell the story every year at Christmas. I have never seen a ring since as beautiful as Kent's ring. No ring could mean so much or be so beautiful as the one my brother gave to me.
Several years ago I thought it was time to return the ring to Kent and gave it to his wife Michelle. I still see her wearing it. Because of Kent's gift, I have an attraction to all pearls and try to get something with a pearl or pearls every year for Christmas. I now enjoy quite a collection of different kinds of pearl jewelry. Thank you Kent!
No comments:
Post a Comment