Then the failed physical last year--so he went to a cardiologist who specialized in arrhythmias. Just like the insurance company who used a little portable EKG machine, the doctor could see the problem right off. Technology had progressed enough that they could see it and know what it was and what to do about it. He had an Electrophysiology Study and they diagnosed Wollf-Parkinson-White Syndrome (WPW). It is actually a birth defect. It just so happened that a doctor here in Salt Lake had perfected the procedure to fix it. Mark went in last December and had his extra pathway in his heart sealed off. It was a scary time for me but also a good thing since I could stop worrying once it was fixed. He asked the doctor if he would be bigger, faster and stronger afterwards? (no) then how about a kinder, more compassionate heart? (not really). He joked around with the nurses and the team of doctors doing the procedure. He came through it and his heart is as good as new. He even passed the insurance exam. Last night I realized that I hadn't even thought about it for a year, after worrying about it for 26 years. He still doesn't think it was a big deal but the doctor told him "I just saved your life". It is amazing to me and I am grateful for a husband with a great heart physically and emotionally--he loves me and he will be around for many years to show it.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Mark's Heart
A year ago Mark had a short physical at home for a life insurance policy. He was in great shape and health. We were notified that he failed the physical and needed to see a heart doctor as he had an irregular heartbeat. We knew about this years ago. In his twenties he would be playing basketball or running and his heart would start racing for no reason. Once it was so bad, he went to the emergency room but they couldn't do anything. It was electrical short through a hole in one of the chambers. He tried some pills but he didn't like how he felt. So he really just tried to stay in shape and not tell me when it happened. I worried about it. It would happen several times a year. I thought it was serious but he didn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment