Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 3 - Almost Heaven (Aka Switzerland)

We left Paris early and took a taxi to the train station. As we entered the building, I felt like I was walking into a Monet painting. It was truly beautiful. Riding the train was a new experience for us and we really enjoyed it. Our friend Johny, his wife Barbara and their cute 3 year boy Simon met us in Lusanne. There is something about Switzerland for me. I have a feeling of "coming home". Is it that it is the land of my ancestors on both sides or is it the most beautiful place on earth? I am sure it is both.

We drove through the Swiss Alps to Gruyeres, it was amazingly beautiful. We had fondue and the thickest cream I have ever tasted. I may need to be rolled off the plane when we get home!
After touring the castle there, we headed through the hills and mountains on country roads to Broc which just happens to be the home of Caillers, my absolute favorite chocolate. Johny remembered that the last time we were here it was closed. We went on a tour and I loved it. At the end we could taste all the varieties, all we wanted. I bought some but wanted to take home the store if we weren't so early in the trip I would have bought so much more.

Then we headed over hill and dale on very small 3/4 lane roads that looked more like paths than roads up high in the Alps to a cheese house. In the summer, each farmer goes up to their mountain home and makes their special type of cheese. We got a drink from the fresh mountain water spigot.
Then we drove to Johny's Chalet. It is a picture of the ideal swiss home nestled in the valley looking out across the panorama of the incomparable Alps. I do not have words....

We fell asleep before dinner and Johny took our picture.
Breakfast - croissants and orange juice
Lunch - Gruyeres for fondue and Rivella, my favorite drink here, carbonated milk whey left over from making the cheese, with added sugar. I liked it last time I was here too.
Dinner - pork roast at Johny's made by his wife Barbara, roasted vegetables, salad and potatoes, and of course, Rivella for me.
Snacks - 3 chocolate bars along with the tasting room full of chocolate!

No comments: