Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 5 - We are Spoiled

After sleeping in we had another great breakfast and Johny and Mark did some business and then showed us around Saanan. He then dropped us off at a gondola in the middle of Schonried and up the mountain we went.
It was beautiful of course and at the top we hiked around and Mark checked out the ski runs. We had the view of the whole Simmental Valley, the close mountains, the high rocky mountains and behind those we could see the Eiger and Young Frau. I just sat there at the top trying to take it all in and save it away in my memory. I told Johny that when Mark is no longer around I will move to this valley and live in Switzerland.

After three days, more and more German words are coming to mind and I am speaking English with a German accent.

We came back to Barbara making us a wonderful Swiss lunch. As we drove up to the house I looked out the car window and there on the clothesline were our clean clothes and underwear
blowing in the breeze. I was quite embarrassed and nervous about it, but no one else seemed to be.

After lunch Johny gave us the car keys and we drove to Gstaad to look around in the shops. Mark said, "Let's buy something" but after looking around in all of the shops, we got a pastry and some hot chocolate for $17 and called it good. Nothing is cheap there. We got back and Johny showed us all the work he had done on the Chalet and then he took us to the train station in Spietz by way of his hometown and another verdant hike up to a waterfall.

After hugs and three kisses for me from Johny, we said Auf Wiedersehen and found our train. We road the train to Zurrich and then caught the night train to Vienna, Austria.

Three kisses are not enough to say goodbye to my favorite place, but as Mark always says, "What's there not to like?". It was truly a wonderful stay in Switzerland and I am sad to leave.
Why is there such a longing associated with this little valley?

Breakfast - see yesterday's menu
Lunch - Raclette, which is special cheese melted in a table grill with each of us having a personal pan along with potatoes, pickles, onions, and a salad. It was very good and once again we over ate!
Dinner - We got to Zurich and grabbed a pizza at a little cafe, Mark really wanted ice water and explained it very well but still got a small glass of water with one ice cube almost melted.

No comments: