Tuesday, September 24, 2013

East Neuk Coastal Trail and Kingbarns 4/25/13

My European sleeping habit returned with a vengeance last night. I finally got to sleep around 3:30 and got up at 6:45 for breakfast with Mark. I knew it would be a rough day unless I got out and did something active. Marilyn tried her skills at driving in Scotland and did very well despite my constant pointing, jumping, nervous reminders to not veer left and very nervous "watch outs". We were on very narrow country roads, with no shoulders, parked cars that we would have to swerve around while cars came at us from the right side of the road, and spectacular views we did't want to miss. We stopped to see the beautiful Kingbarns Course where the guys were playing and then on to Crail where we started our coastal path trail hike to Anstruther Wester.




Kissing gate-there were several on the trail. It was cold starting out and I am loaded with camera, purse and trail map. When we got back my shoes and jeans were very muddy up to my knees, whereas Marilyn did not have a spec of dirt on her jeans or her shoes and we hiked together the whole 6 miles. What's up with that. I had to have my jeans laundered at the hotel for 6.75 pounds. 







Marilyn and I loved hiking the coast and only saw a group of three older ladies with walking sticks and an old man collecting wood. We were alone for 2 hours as we trekked along enjoying every minute.

We turned around before reaching the fishing village of Anstruther to make back to the golf course for lunch with guys. We got there just as they were reaching the 18th green. It was such a beautiful course overlooking the North Sea with more hills and terrain than St. Andrews.
 Dale, Marilyn's husband and Mark's golf buddy.

The group without wives.
We had lunch at the club house pub. I had fish chowder and Mark had a hamburger with the best fries I have ever eaten. After a large coke, I was ready to go again.
We drove back to our hotel and then went on a walking tour of the village of St. Andrews with some of our group. We lost Mark again as he wanted to practice putting and missed us leaving for the tour. Our golf pro and organizer of the whole trip, went to find him as we started at the Museum of Golf History. The museum lady was ready to stop allowing anymore tourists and I told her to please wait for my husband to make it. More and more men came in (we see very few women anywhere) and the lady asked me if I saw anyone I would like to exchange for. I told her that I would continue to wait for him as he is the best looking guy here. She thought that was a good idea. He made it in the nick of time with Ryan who said being in charge of these guys on our trip is like herding cats.
Ryan showed us the initials in the street marking the spots where men were burned at the stake during the reformation times. We saw the castle again and missed going into the Cathedral ruins again since it was too late and was closed. We did tour around the famous St. Andrews University where Prince William attended and met Kate. I don't know if the sign in this shop window can be read or not. The college students look pretty much like they would anywhere but the girls were all wearing very short skirts and they looked cold to me.

 It says "Where Kate Met Wills"

 Most stolen sign in St. Andrews



After walking around, we made our way back to the hotel and went to dinner at the St. Andrews clubhouse. I had the pork belly again that I had the first day for lunch. It was a low key but nice dinner with the Christensens.

No comments: