Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Firth of Clyde, Ailsa Craig and a Bull 4/27/13

We arrived last night at our new hotel on the West coast at Turnberry, a beautiful grand hotel built in 1906. It feels and looks like the hotel in the movie "Somewhere in Time" but I haven't seen anyone who looks like Christopher Reeve or Jane Seymour. I didn't get up with Mark for breakfast but joined Marilyn later and enjoyed sleeping in. We then took off for today's adventure hiking through the hills near Girvan. We walked along the beach and then up through a field and into the hills. A nice young couple looked at my map and told us to go up and back rather than the loop we were planning as one of the farmers was not happy to see hikers. He knew this because the farmer delivered eggs to him and was complaining. I asked him about biking (cycling) and he said he would not consider road biking on the very narrow dangerous roads as his friend lost his leg in an accident, mountain biking was safer, but not very close. I think we will stick to hiking.
We followed the path, the sheep trails and made up our own trail as we worked our way up the beautiful green and picturesque landscape turning around often to view the spectacular sea and surrounding vistas. At one point a deer came over a rise and then heard me talking and ran away. We came to some sheep and cows and there was a bull looking at us as we climbed over the fence. I started to worry that I might not survive getting chased and so we turned around and went around a different way. We made it to the top and took lots of pictures. We could see Ireland and several Scottish islands and the famous Ailsa Craig where the granite for the world's curling stones is mined. We got back around 3 and I found Mark in our room preparing for his 2nd round of the day. We had a little snack in the beautiful conservatory and gawked a wedding party with all the men in kilts and the women in British hats. 

No comments: