Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Good Bye Sewing Machine
The first year we were married Mark and his friend Rex bought an insulation blowing machine and sold insulation. They made enough money to keep us in school. It became apparent to me that I needed a sewing machine. The ones I wanted cost over $1200 and we couldn't afford it. Mark came home one night and said he was insulating the Pfaff store in trade for a sewing machine. I was so excited. My parents paid the money for the rock wool and I picked out my machine. I made Mark a pair of pants right away and they looked very good on him (he was a size 31 back then). I made curtains for the kitchen and clothes for me. I was always sewing something. Through the years my little Pfaff has been used to make clothes for most of the people I love. I have made at least 5 wedding dresses and numerous bridesmaids dresses, prom dresses and tuxedo vests. My children wore lots of things I made. Natalie got the most dresses and I loved to design things for her. I have made so many home decor items like drapes, pillows and bedspreads for every house we have lived in. The machine has also been used to sew about 8000 safety squat straps for a product we sell. It has been used to teach lots of kids to sew and has made many interesting projects through the years. It was always available whether in the basement laundry room, a closet or in a bedroom. It was important to me. It has been with me my whole married life and I can think of all the things made on it and it is quite a history. It is with sorrow that I retire this little machine. It has been worked to death and is no longer worth fixing. It will be around in the background and maybe a grandchild will want to learn to sew on it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's a lot easier to let go of sewing machines than people! This must mean you're getting a new one soon.
How is the serger holding up?
I would love to make some of these for gifts and it makes me wish I had a serger:
http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=526
Your tribute to your sewing machines was really sweet.
-Janet
Janet, That is a cute pattern. You don't need a serger to do it. Just sew a zig zag or straight stitch to protect the edges before you sew the bias tape on. It is very easy and would make a wonderful gift.
Did you get the new machine. Post pictures of it i would love to see what machine you bought. I am just now going through the classes to learn about your NEW machine (i have had mine for 2) love it.
Post a Comment