Friday, September 16, 2011

David, Duomo, and the Birth of Venus

We met our guide "Guido" along with the Johnsons and the Whites and started our trek through the city again. Guido taught us some Florentine history and got us to the Accademia to view the real Carrara marble statue. He did not disappoint. David was stirringly beautiful. We could not take pictures, so I will have to be happy with photos of the copies.
                     



We walked around the octagonal Baptistry to view the gilded bronze Ghiberti "Gates of Paradise". Natalie and I saw a reproduction of these doors on the Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. It was so crowded, it was impossible to get a good picture of the full doors.


We walked back to the Piazza Della Signoria where there are many sculptures and bronzes. We had our first gelato and it was worth waiting for.






Then we had some lunch at a little cafe and then started our tour of the Uffizi, the famous art museum. We rented audio guides and set off. After 90 minutes, I could not walk or stand anymore as my feet were in great pain. I am not a huge fan of the artwork there but it was interesting for a while. We did see Botticelli's "Then Birth of Venus" which was amazing to see in real life.








We made it back to the Duomo to take the 463 stairs up to the top of the dome designed by Brunelleschi. Now it was truly a feat to walk up and down those small stone steps only wide enough for one person, but it was worth every claustrophobic thought. We got to the very top and like all the very tall places I have been, I recognized those who shuffled slowly to the edge
grabbing onto the railing for dear life, those of us afraid of heights. I did really well though I did not do much looking down. It really was a highlight on a day filled with highlights.









We continued our search for the perfect leather coat for both of us but came up wanting in the open air shops. Finally making it home to our hotel, we rested and had foot rubs and started out again to see the leather.

We went back to the place we were at last night and we both found coats we liked and made our purchase!
We sat and listened to a good band on the bridge Pointe Veccio and then went to dinner with our friends. It has been a very long day and my feet are so tired, I can't sleep.

No comments: