Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Strada del Vino and Olive Oil


I came around a corner and this is what I saw. I started laughing but it took everyone a bit longer to realize Steve Shaha and Mark staged their little crash. The best was when a small car drove up and looked so concerned. The older woman crossed herself and the older man stopped to help when Steve gave him the thumbs up and he started laughing. They loved it. Luigi was the last one to arrive on the scene and he looked real worried for just a moment.




Ron, Natalie's father-in-law would have loved the vineyards along the Strada Del Vino as they were in perfect numbered rows, no weeds and looked manicured.  They were a truly a work of art.

Luigi telling me "this is not the basil you are looking for....."

Here it is!  Fields of beautiful basil.  It had a more minty-spicy bite than I had tasted before.

After a big buffet breakfast most mornings, we started our ride and a by 10:30 there was Luigi or Matteo setting out snacks for us by the side of the road.  We never refused them and just continued to eat all day long.  


Our fellow bikers from Draper
 Carol Sue and Lynn Johnson

Karl and Ann Jepsen

Liz and Dave Smith

 Randy and Gwen Thornton

 Stacy and Steve Shaha

Melanie and Scott White

In our matching VBT jerseys

 Cyprus Alley

                       

Everywhere there were these tall pines that I named "Umbrella Pines".  They were so pretty.
The day continues.........we arrived at the olive oil mill for a tour and a scrumptious lunch.



 Lunch and demo at the olive oil mill with Matteo translating.







We continued riding back towards our hotel at the Tombolo Talasso.  Tuscany's countryside is truly beautiful and picturesque.  Riding the hills and valleys, every turn was a photo opportunity.  I had to start wearing my camera on my back so I could stop and not take so long to get it out and put it away.






Back to the beach, but a storm was coming.  We saw waterspout funnel clouds coming off of the water.  We had a few hours of relaxation before trundling off to Chicca's home for "Cooking in Tuscany" class and dinner.


 Scott was the only one to brave the angry sea.

Relaxing on Italian leather

Tuscany as if on fire at sunset on the way to Chicca's.





 The Tuscan Kitchen
 Making gnocchi 

 Dinner together at Chicca's ancestral home.
He must be telling a good one.

A delicious finish to a long but very wonderful day!

2 comments:

Mal. said...

hahaha I love the staged bike crash. if I saw that on the side of the road I would have been concerned too haha

ugkuyg said...

mmm, all the food looks delicious! I hope you come back and make some gnocchi, I've always wanted to try it!