When we lived in Sugarhouse and Natalie was 3 years old, she had a best friend Tawnie. Tawnie and Natalie did everything together. It helped that Lisa (Tawnie's Mom) and I were also best freinds. We lived about 3 houses apart but had to cross two streets to get to Tawnie's house. One morning while they were playing at our house, Lisa called and said "send them over here for lunch". I sent them to Lisa's together. A while later Lisa called again and wondered why they hadn't come for lunch. I told her that I sent them when she called the first time. This is when a mother starts to panic and we both did. We ran outside to each other's homes and looked around all time the panic and worry mounting.
Those girls where no where to be found. I can still remember the exact moment when we both realized that we needed to call the police and I looked down the street and saw Natalie and Tawnie walking maybe 5 houses away coming from a busy street. Of course we ran to them and were so excited to see them. They didn't feel the same excitement and we knew that something was up. It took a few moments to figure out that they were hiding something. Upon further investigation we discovered that they had 2 or 3 king size candy bars in their pockets. Where did they get the candy? They had walked to the 7-11 which was about two blocks away across more streets and on a very busy Highland Drive.
We never walked to 7-11 and wondered how they even knew how to get there. We loaded them up in the car and went to return the candy. They were not happy about this. I remember the cashier kneeling down in front of Natalie asking her how Nat would feel if she came into her house and took her dolls. Natalie didn't care, she didn't like dolls that much. The girls reluctantly gave back the candy and we tried to teach them and talk with them but I think it fell on deaf ears, they wanted that candy. That was the first and last incident in Natalie's short life of crime.
An interesting note is that later a friend of ours told us that she saw the girls walking to 7-11 together and thought "how cute, Lorna and Lisa must be watching from their car letting Natalie and Tawnie go shopping alone". I wasn't happy about that stupid observation.
1 comment:
I remember the day I decided to take my tricicle for a spin around the block--which took me out on to 33rd. I had never ventured out before. I was so proud, and couldn't figure out why Mom wasn't:) The best part is that I really thought I was going to get a golden star.
Post a Comment