Monday, November 24, 2008

Over the River and Through the Woods

I think it was the Martinez Bridge and the only woods were the big old trees in Grandma and Grandpa Packer's back yard in Menlo Park.  I loved to go to that house for Thanksgiving mainly because of cousins Shelly and Tammy, but all the aunts, uncles and cousins always made it a big party.  I remember tables going on forever in either direction through the big family room.  I liked the food that all the aunts made as Grandma's fridge never had anything edible in it.  

Some of my memories of Thanksgiving include:
*Playing cards with Aunt Katie and cousins--the one in French with the car signs?? 
*Grandpa's pencil trick and algebra problems that he paid us for learning and figuring out
*This one is weird and I don't know if they really existed but tall ceramic cats in Katie and Ann's bedroom (anyone remember those?)
*Dressing up in Kate and Ann's formals with Grandma's high heeled shoes (they always fit because she wore a size 4)
*Going for rides on the swing from the really tall tree in the backyard
*Seeing Grandma's teeth in a glass in her bathroom
*And my favorite--rides on the forklift up to the second story of the apartments behind the house.  One year grandma sent me to bed because I had the mumps and she wouldn't let me get up and play with everyone.  I didn't feel that sick.  I was very upset about everyone having fun but me.  Grandpa came in and got me up out of bed and said I could go on the forklift ride.  (Were those safe?)  It was better than any amusement park ride.
*Singing and playing the piano with Shelly and Kate
*Uncle Jerry telling funny stories
I am sure there are lots more---feel free to add any of yours in the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorna, The game is Mille Bornes, I don't know how it just popped into my head! It was very fun playing with all the cousins. I remember when Grandpa let Keith sit next to him on the forklift when some of us were up in the air and Keith grabbed the controls and almost dumped us off! Luckily Grandpa pulled it back in time. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Lovin' your blog!